Senior Vice President, Sustainability Programs
Corporate Office in Los Angeles, CA preferred. Open to candidates in Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego.Download
Opportunity Description: Senior Vice President, Sustainability Programs
Location: Corporate Office in Los Angeles, CA preferred. Open to candidates in Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego.
About Kilroy Realty
- Kilroy Realty is a dynamic, $10 billion publicly-traded real estate company that is looking to add to its team of superstars.
- We believe our diverse team, commitment to excellence, superior growth prospects, premium office and mixed-use properties and our exciting and innovative development platform make us the premier publicly-traded Real Estate Investment Trust on the West Coast and developer, with a major presence in San Diego, Greater Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, the Pacific Northwest and now Texas.
- Our collaborative open work environment, dynamic team approach and exciting transactions create continued opportunities for growth and challenge and inspire our employees.
- As part of our core values, we are committed to sustainability and the environment and, as a result, we are recognized as the North American leader in sustainability.
- Our team is like our family. We have over 70 years of experience developing, acquiring, and managing office and mixed-use real estate assets and have many employees who have been at the company for more than 15 years.
- We have a promote-from-within culture and accessible executives with open door policies.We consistently encourage our team to facilitate change, leverage technology and recommend process improvement.
- We have a flexible work attire policy that allows for jeans to be worn every day. We believe in a modern workplace where our goal is to inspire and create opportunity for our entire team.
- Please visit our website at: kilroyrealty.com
About the Opportunity
The Senior Vice President, Sustainability Programs will report to the President and will lead Kilroy’s ESG strategic initiatives and implementation of related strategy, policies, and processes. In addition, the role will oversee the Company’s research, evaluation, and fielding of relevant real estate-related and renewable energy technologies and innovations to support its strategy.
Kilroy Realty Corporation (NYSE: KRC) is a publicly traded real estate investment trust (“REIT”) and member of the S&P MidCap 400 Index with more than seven decades of experience developing, acquiring and managing office and mixed-use projects. The company is a leading West Coast landlord and developer, with a major presence across Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and the Pacific Northwest as well as recent major acquisition in Austin, TX.
KRC has earned global recognition for sustainability, building operations, innovation and design. As pioneers and innovators in the creation of a more sustainable real estate industry, the company’s approach to modern business environments helps drive creativity, productivity and employee retention for some of the world’s leading technology, entertainment, life science and business services companies.
KRC believes that its team, commitment to excellence, superior growth prospects, premium office and mixed-use properties and innovative development platform makes it the premier publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust on the West Coast. The company’s collaborative open work environment, dynamic team approach and exciting transactions create continued opportunities for growth and challenge and inspire our employees. KRC views its team as a family, with many employees who have been at the company for more than 15 years. KRC creates a collaborative and accessible culture starting with executives with open door policies. The company’s leaders encourage their team to facilitate change, leverage technology and recommend process improvement. The company believes in a modern workplace where the goal is to inspire and create opportunity for the entire team.
As part of the company’s core values, Kilroy is committed to sustainability and the environment and, as a result, is widely recognized as the North American leader in sustainability. In additional to achieving carbon neutral operations in 2020, Kilroy has been an Energy Star Partner of the year from 2014 to present and ranks as ‘best in class’ across Dow Jones, CDP, Bloomberg, GRESB, NAREIT and other reputable third party sustainability and ESG metrics.
A link to Kilroy’s most recent sustainability report can be found here
Responsibilities include overseeing the corporate ESG strategy, partnering with Investor Relations and Marketing to communicate the Company’s ESG efforts, measuring and reporting ESG results internally and externally, coordinating the development and documentation of ESG policies and procedures, benchmarking and measuring ESG performance via independent third-party organizations and managing ESG data.
The SVP will also be responsible for P&L and the administration of multimillion-dollar budgets for energy and water efficiency projects, value-add certifications, electric vehicle charging station installations and other sustainability efforts. The SVP will have responsibility for managing two direct reports and working closely with functional leads across the Company including Property and Asset Management, Construction and Development, Legal, Human Resources and Risk Management.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Administer and be responsible for P&L for multi-million-dollar budget for energy and water efficiency projects, value-add certifications, electric vehicle charging station installations and other sustainability efforts
- Negotiate contracts for and coordinate installation of onsite solar and battery projects
- Negotiate offsite renewable power purchase agreements
- Run energy procurement program including direct access and community choice renewables
- Create and implement green building strategy for all new development projects, focused on achieving building electrification and embodied carbon reduction goals
- Implement green leasing program
- Administer the Kilroy Innovation Lab
- Run biodiversity program
- Create and implement climate risk strategy, including identifying climate risks through climate scenario software, analyzing results, and implementing recommendations where feasible
- Create and implement supply chain ESG strategy including identifying and surveying critical Tier 1 suppliers for ESG risks, analyzing results, sharing results and recommendations with suppliers to improve outcomes
- Support Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives such as working with HR on training and submitting to the Bloomberg Gender Equality index
- Create and run all building health programs, including air quality testing, Fitwel and WELL certifications, collaborations, and partnerships such as Harvard TH Chan school of public health
- Create SASB/TCFD-aligned sustainability disclosures for annual 10-K and Proxy reports
- Write annual sustainability report and earn external assurance, PAS 2060 verification for carbon neutral operations claim
- Lead teams to gather annual consumption data across energy, carbon, water and waste
- Create strategy for and execute annual GRESB, Dow Jones Sustainability Index, Carbon Disclosure Project and Bloomberg Gender Equality Index disclosures
- Apply for ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
- Create strategy for Green/Climate Bonds, coordinate assurance of use of proceeds aligned with Climate Bonds
- Frequent speaking events including keynotes, panels, webinars, and podcasts
Professional Experience / Qualifications
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with superb attention to detail, strong communication skills and an ability to build consensus among a range of stakeholders to accomplish organizational ESG objectives. Ideal experience will possess a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the commercial real estate or related industry, including exposure to sustainability, development / asset management, social impact, employee engagement, internal communications, tenant communication, or related field.
Specific qualifications include:
- Strong working knowledge of the EPA ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager system especially as related to annual certification and compliance with state and local benchmarking disclosure laws.
- Experience leading teams of both direct reports and dotted line relationships. An ability to lead via influence rather than direct authority is essential.
- Strong working knowledge of LEED Existing Building ratings system, including credit requirements. LEED certification is preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of sustainability/sustainability reporting standards, preferably as they apply to commercial real estate (e.g., GRESB).
- Familiarity with marketing and demonstrated skill in communicating sustainability achievements.
- Strong computer skills with excellent organizational, planning and analytical skills.
- Effective public speaker able to confidently and comfortably represent the Company on panels, in interviews, and through other public speaking engagements.
- Polished professional demeanor with excellent written and verbal English communication skills to write memos, letters and reports, and interact effectively with contractors, tenants, peers, vendors, and management.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing priorities while staying focused and meeting deadlines without sacrificing accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task, attentive to detail, with excellent follow-up skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing environment and perform in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
An undergraduate degree in environmental science, finance, engineering, or a related field is required. An advanced degree in a relevant field and LEEP AP certification is also preferred.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience to attract an outstanding candidate.
Apply for this Position
To apply, email HumanResources@kilroyrealty.com. Please include the position title in the subject line. No phone calls, please.