Senior Construction and Development Accountant
Regional Office in San Francisco, CADownload
About Kilroy Realty
- Kilroy Realty is a dynamic, $10 billion publicly-traded real estate company that is looking to add to its team of superstars.
- We believe our diverse team, commitment to excellence, superior growth prospects, premium office and mixed-use properties and our exciting and innovative development platform make us the premier publicly-traded Real Estate Investment Trust on the West Coast and developer, with a major presence in San Diego, Greater Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, the Pacific Northwest and now Texas.
- Our collaborative open work environment, dynamic team approach and exciting transactions create continued opportunities for growth and challenge and inspire our employees.
- As part of our core values, we are committed to sustainability and the environment and, as a result, we are recognized as the North American leader in sustainability.
- Our team is like our family. We have over 70 years of experience developing, acquiring and managing office and mixed-use real estate assets and have many employees who have been at the company for more than 15 years.
- We have a promote-from-within culture and accessible executives with open door policies.We consistently encourage our team to facilitate change, leverage technology and recommend process improvement.
- We have a flexible work attire policy that allows for jeans to be worn every day. We believe in a modern workplace where our goal is to inspire and create opportunity for our entire team.
- Please visit our website at: www.kilroyrealty.com.
About the Opportunity
This position will be employed by Kilroy Realty, L.P. and will join the Accounting team located at our regional office in San Francisco, CA. This position provides the opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join a very active publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust. The Construction & Development Accounting team is a discrete team that is responsible for overseeing all aspects of budgeting and accounting for all the Company’s capital projects. This role reports to the Director, Construction & Development Accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience or 5-7 years of applicable experience in lieu of a Degree.
- Must be self-directed, motivated, and logical in problem solving; well organized with attention to detail; follow through with assignments; possess strong analytical skills; and be able to communicate effectively with coworkers both verbally and through written communications.
- Must have experience accounting for construction and development projects.
- Commercial real estate and experience working with large mixed-use developments a plus.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and Yardi.
- Capacity for occasional out of town travel.
Summary of Responsibilities
This position is involved in all aspects of construction and development accounts payable, contract processing and budget analysis. The core responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with Project Managers (PMs) to develop Project Detail Budgets and assist with Development Submittal Package preparation and review. (This process requires analytic review of the current costs to date and projected costs to complete the project. The Construction and Development Accountants work closely with the Finance team and the PMs to ensure accuracy and come up with recommendations as needed).
- Work with PMs to develop monthly forecasts of the Forecast to Complete (FTC). Participate and provide input in monthly FTC meetings. Work with Operations and Finance teams to reconcile budgets and proformas to Accounting system reports. Prepare monthly FTC meeting minutes.
- Work with PMs to prepare Interim Funding Requests (IFR) for development and redevelopment projects and to monitor costs by project to ensure spending is within the approved IFR limits and Board of Director approvals.
- Work with PMs to determine the status of the projects, proper GL coding of invoices, contracts, vendor payments, close out of projects, etc.
- Review contractor pay applications and ensure proper documentation has been obtained (e.g. lien releases).
- Set up, maintain, and track contracts and projects within the system.
- Process development checks and coordinate funding on a weekly and on an as-needed basis.
- Maintain project information related to all project data including pertinent dates, tenant improvement status, lease accounting issues and various other measurement metrics.
- Prepare monthly journal entries (e.g., close out completed projects, G&A fees, period end accruals, etc.).
- Prepare tenant reporting packages as required based on the terms of the lease.
- Monitor and prepare Tenant Improvement (TI) Analysis; track TI allowances and prepare TI Overage Billings as needed. (Requires lease review and excellent understanding of the lease Work Letter).
- Prepare Monthly and Quarterly Construction & Development reports and report analysis, as necessary. Work with the Operations and Finance teams to ensure accuracy of projections and consistency between financial modeling, Accounting, and financial reports (Monthly Reporting Packages, Supplemental, etc.).
- Perform and maintain monthly, quarterly, and annual roll forwards of Construction and Development projects and fixed assets.
- Review GL accounts for re-classes, review pre-development to determine current and projected project status and assist with any auditor requests.
- Prepare Ad-hoc Project Analysis and work on special projects, as requested (Typically involves work with VP or other Executives).
- Responsible for all construction and development level accounting functions for the Company’s real estate portfolio. All accounting is performed in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Adhere to the Company’s Construction & Development Accounting Policies & Procedures and comply with Sarbanes Oxley Section 404 (SOX) control activities.
Apply for this Position
To apply, email HumanResources@kilroyrealty.com. Please include the position title in the subject line. No phone calls, please.