Counsel, Real Estate
Corporate office in Los Angeles, CADownload
Opportunity Description: Counsel, Real Estate
Location: Corporate Office in Los Angeles, CA
About Kilroy Realty
- Kilroy Realty is a dynamic, $10 billion publicly-traded real estate company that is looking to add to its team of superstars.
- We believe our diverse team, commitment to excellence, superior growth prospects, premium office and mixed-use properties and our exciting and innovative development platform make us the premier publicly-traded Real Estate Investment Trust on the West Coast and developer, with a major presence in San Diego, Greater Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, the Pacific Northwest and now Texas.
- Our collaborative open work environment, dynamic team approach and exciting transactions create continued opportunities for growth and challenge and inspire our employees.
- As part of our core values, we are committed to sustainability and the environment and, as a result, we are recognized as the North American leader in sustainability.
- Our team is like our family. We have over 70 years of experience developing, acquiring, and managing office and mixed-use real estate assets and have many employees who have been at the company for more than 15 years.
- We have a promote-from-within culture and accessible executives with open door policies.We consistently encourage our team to facilitate change, leverage technology and recommend process improvement.
- We have a flexible work attire policy that allows for jeans to be worn every day. We believe in a modern workplace where our goal is to inspire and create opportunity for our entire team.
- Please visit our website at: kilroyrealty.com
About the Opportunity
This attorney position will be based in Los Angeles, CA and will be a key member of the Company’s in-house legal team handling general real estate matters, with an emphasis on operations and leasing-related projects. This position will directly report to the Senior Counsel, Real Estate. Responsibilities will include drafting and negotiating contracts and agreements relating to the ownership, management, leasing and operation of the Company’s real estate holdings. This position will also support other in-house attorneys with respect to construction and development matters, litigation/dispute resolution matters, and acquisitions and dispositions of real estate, and will require interaction with other intracompany groups (including but not limited to Asset Management, Accounting and Tax), outside counsel and third-party vendors. The ideal candidate will have law firm and/or in-house real estate-related legal experience (preferably with some prior experience in commercial leasing) and is looking to be involved in, and exposed to, a wide variety of legal matters at the Company.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Current member in good standing with the California bar.
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience working on real estate matters at a leading law firm or as part of an in-house legal team at a real estate company. Experience representing or working for institutional landlords and/or public real estate investment trusts is a plus.
- Some contract drafting and negotiation experience is necessary for this position.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills are key, as well as the ability to manage and prioritize a high volume of requests and competing matters at any given time.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability “think on the fly” and provide quick, sound legal advice in evolving situations.
- Team player with a history of working closely with paralegals and/or legal assistants in a collaborative environment.
- High level of professionalism, discretion, and business judgment.
- Motivated, self-starter who takes pride in their work product and is willing to “own” the work assigned to them.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Review, draft and negotiate wide range of commercial contracts and agreements relating to the ownership, management, leasing and operation of the Company’s office and mixed-use real estate assets.
- Serve as in-house legal support for Asset Management team on property management and operations issues and processes.
- Work with other in-house attorneys on a variety of legal matters including (i) negotiating construction agreements and reviewing applications for the development/construction teams, (ii) drafting environmental task orders and coordinating with outside counsel on various environmental matters, (ii) assisting on litigation and dispute resolutions matters and (iii) assisting on acquisitions and dispositions, as needed.
- Assist with developing and implementing various company initiatives as necessary.
- Assist with special projects and other matters as necessary.
Apply for this Position
To apply, email HumanResources@kilroyrealty.com. Please include the position title in the subject line. No phone calls, please.